Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Remembering Lionel Forbes (1979-2013)


I'm sure he's up there cracking jokes with Mitch Hedberg and Bernie Mac right now.

This week Gator Nation, and our little off-brand underground college football blog, lost a dear, dear friend.  

Lionel Forbes, affectionately known as "FlawdaGator" and "Captain Inappropriate", passed away unexpectedly on May 6th.  He was only 34 years old.

Lionel was a part-time contributor to eViL G and Coach E, in addition to hosting and producing "The FlawdaGator Show" on TenacityRadio.com.  He was a proud alum of the University of Florida, and he played a mean tuba for UF's Marching Band back in the day.

From time to time here I'll reference a super, secret Internet message board in cyberspace.  Well Lionel introduced me to this group of misfit college football fans back in 2001...and over a decade later, after countless tailgates, road trips, pool parties, weddings, baby showers, graduation ceremonies and funerals, I consider this group of Gators (and a few select Tennessee Vols) to be among my best friends on the planet. 

Lionel's personality and heart were bigger than he was...and Lionel was a big boy.  I'm forever grateful for his friendship, and for the friendships I've made because of him.

Rest in peace Lionel.  It breaks my heart to say goodbye to you.


eG
@eViLGator

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Spanky, and thanks for taking Lionel under your wing. He really looked up to you.

    ReplyDelete